Saturday, April 28, 2007

Baku, T minus 60 minutes

After problems in checking in (somehow they can't handle e-tickets) and a very long line in passport control (only one officer for our half of the terminal), I'm in the lounge waiting for departure.

It was a long trip. Exhausting becasue of the tonnes of work but also fulfiling because of new friends and experiences. Almost every traveller's nightmare happened to me during my trip, from an immigration officer fishing for a bribe to being surrounded by presidential bodyguards. But a lot of exciting things also happened, from a tour of historic Hisor near Dushanbe to attending a sunnat in Baku. [A sunnat is basically a debut for an 11-year-old boy, his official entry into manhood. On sunnat he parties; the next day he is circumcised.]

It was a long and memorable trip, but I've never been so raring to come home. I'm finally coming home.

No comments: