Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Manila, T minus 9 days

I'm going to Singapore next week to attend the National Day Parade, which commemorates the city-state's separation from Malaysia on 9 August 1965. There is nothing better than to stand proud with other Singaporeans on this auspicious day, singing Majulah Singapura and giving my thanks to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's effective leadership.

It just so happens that Singapore is where my very good friends dr.sbdink and mixmendoza are currently staying, as well as a few other high school friends who I've barely seen since graduation. It just so happens that Singapore is the epicentre of Nyonya cuisine and a gourmet's heaven for Chinese, Indian, and Malay cuisines. It just so happens that Singapore is the home (conceptual or corporate) of some of my favourite food franchises: Kopi Roti (which is an all-Filipino company), Bread Talk, Roti Mum, and Old Chang Kee (and its illegitimate Filipino child, Old Yang Kee). And it just so happens that Singapore is where I'll be spending my birthday this year.

But, really, it's National Day all the way.

No comments: