Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My ref magnets...

...make me happy. They remind me of where I've been, what I've experienced, who I've met.

Ref magnets are my souvenir of choice; unfortunately, my collection is way incomplete. But I do have a few magnets from places I haven't been to yet-- those on the lower left-- given to me by family and friends. Any addition is more than welcome. :)

I hope to someday ride the Mongol steppes, eat paella in Valencia, get my feet wet in Lake Victoria. I like to experience the everyday side of the places I visit-- not the Disneyfied touristy stuff-- and local food, of course, is a destination in its own right. In Discovery Channel terms, Sandra Brown is too touristy while Bear Grylls is too tough. The set bounded by Ian Wright and Andrew Zimmern is just right for me, with Anthony Bourdain being my optimal travel style. Oh to have a job like Tony's.

Speaking of travel shows, that show hosted by Tim Tayag over at Living Asia Channel just irritates me. Ok he's a comedian and he has this humour style, but that doesn't mean the show has to be so inane. I recall an episode featuring MRT stations-- Tim was interviewing DOTC Sec. Leandro Mendoza, asking him these nonsensical questions. I swear, the ex-PNP Chief had this look that said, "If only I could shoot him now." They already spent a lot to get the host, producers, crew, etc. to those various places; why not put in the effort for better scripts and segments? Really, the show is like a very bad hangover. With traveller's diarrhoea and lost luggage.

Yeah, I'm envious. Very envious. I should be paid to travel. A lot. To places with weird-sounding names. The more alien the better. Then I go home and stick another magnet to my ref.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim's actually a very nice and funny guy. I met him once during one of his shoots. I actually like his travel show because it's not typical and he's always bumbling but then again, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm obviously a fan of his. Also, he doesn't get paid by Living Asia at all. In fact, he spends his own money to produce the show at no profit. I asked him why he does it and he said because he knows how beautiful the Philippines is and he wants to share that to the world. I think that's a noble cause. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you. Oh and the proper spelling is diarrhea and not diarrhoea. Have a good one.

xsaltire said...

Anonymous: Thanks for sharing your opinion. Well, to each his own.

I'm sure Tim's a very nice guy. No disagreement on that point.

Oh, diarrhoea is another spelling for diarrhea. Have a nice day.