Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Farewell, Brother Felix

Brother Felix Masson, FSC, passed away today, 5 February 2008, at around 3pm in Napa, California (7am on 6 February, Manila time). He was 89.

Brother Felix was a much-loved figure in De La Salle-Zobel, where I spent my grade school and high school years. We best knew him for greeting each one of us on our birthday, giving us a stampita as a birthday gift. Each student. Every year. Without fail. Being called to his office was always a welcome distraction from the humdrum classroom, not to mention everyone knows it's your birthday when you get that call, prompting the whole class to sing "Happy Birthday" as you walk out the door.

And we did not get a routine greeting from Brother Felix-- he really tried to connect with us. I remember when I got my birthday call when I was in 4th grade-- I was a new student in Zobel then. He asked me about my sports and hobbies and, unable to think of anything, I mentioned tennis. He said stuff about the grassy courts of Wimbledon, to which I replied with a blank stare. On my next birthday, in 5th grade, he asked me if I still liked tennis. Funny how forgotten memories can suddenly make a comeback.

Farewell, Brother Felix, and thank you. You will be missed.

No comments: