Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Kuala Lumpur, T minus 1 hour

At the KLIA lounge now, waiting for boarding. It was hectic the past three days, but it was productive. Glad to be going home. My friend dr.sbink was kind enough to offer to pick me up at the airport (thanks, dude).

I only got to buy stuff yesterday afternoon when I went to Bukit Bintang. Very uncharacteristically, I bought something on a spur-- a new laptop! Electronics are insanely cheap in KL (relative to Manila), so I couldn't pass up the oportunity for a bargain. I bought a souped-up Toshiba Satellite M200. I actually perplexes me why electronics are so darn expensive in Manila.

Based on my experience, average electronics prices are cheapest in KL, then the Bay Area (which is known for its high prices), and most expensive in Manila. Therefore, the high cost in Manila cannot be due to transportation costs because electronics are cheap in SFO, and the Dell I bought was actualy assembled in Malaysia. So is it taxes? Market imperfections? Something worthy of investigation.

No comments: